It is time to rise your website in the SERPs. This is done by building good quality links from other websites to your website. There are two main ways this is done:
- One Way Links – You seek out a relevant website and negotiate to have them place a link to your website on their website.
- Reciprocal Links – You seek out a link exchange from another relevant website. They link to you and you link back to them.
Link Building Timeframe
You do not want to build too many links to your new site too fast. According to Google’s proposed rules you will want to show a slow and steady rate of backlink growth over time.
With this in mind it is best to seek out no more than 5 – 10 new links per day. You may have to contact 30 sites a day to build these links but your goal should be to get 5 -10 new relevant links pointing to your site each day.
Working 5 days a week you will be able to build 1200 to 2400 backlinks to your site within a year of working The Plan.
That number is huge and you will gain great results in the SERPs by keeping to the schedule. You will find that you can easily beat your competition because most webmasters do not build backlinks on a consistent schedule.
Stick to The Plan and after a year you should be in the top 10 for all of your keywords. This is where your AdSense income makes a huge boost from $1 – $2 a day to $10 – $15 or more. In some niches it is not uncommon to make $100 – $500 a day once you achieve top rankings!
One Way Links
There are several ways to build one way links:
As your websites popularity grows and you gain more and more exposure you will gain one way links automatically. Other similar websites will want to link to your site to provide a richer experience to their own website visitors.
Another way to gain one way links is by posting to Blogs that are relevant to your niche. Contribute a comment that is on topic to the blog discussion and include a link to your website in your signature.
To find blogs related to you niche you can do a search on any search engine for:
“your keyword blog”
For example say I want to find golf blogs – I would type “golf blog” (with quotes) in the search engine’s search box. I would then get a listing of websites with the word “golf blog” in them.
You then visit each blog and post a comment.
I do not advise purchasing links because the search engines do not like it. They consider this to be a deception. They feel that buying links for the purpose of gaining better indexing is spam. They will penalize you and the site that sold you the link if you are caught. With so many free ways of getting links, why waste your time?
Most forums allow you to have a signature line with a link to your website. By participating in niche related forums, that are indexed in the SERPs, you can gain easy one way links that can help give your site a boost.
The easiest way to get links to your site is to build reciprocal links. You want to make sure that the site you are requesting a link exchange from meets quality guidelines.
The worst thing to have happen is getting penalized because a low quality site is linking to you and you to them. Just follow the 3 basic rules above before asking for a link exchange.
How to Build Reciprocal Link Partners
There is a specific strategy that must be followed in order to build reciprocal linking partners. You should follow this advice to avoid getting penalized at best or getting de-index at worst.
Seek Relevant Partners
Go to any search engine and do a search under your niche keywords to find other sites that are related to your niche. One way to do this is to enter the following queries into the search engine’s search box:
- keyword “links”
- keyword “partners”
- keyword “add a link”
- keyword “link partners”
These queries will find sites that contain your keyword and are already open to the idea of a link exchange. Visit each site and contact them to do a reciprocal link exchange (provided they meet your quality guidelines). When You Find A Potential Link Partner
When you find a potential link partner you will want to go ahead and add a link to your sites link directory. I prefer to call this link “resources”. By seeking quality link partners this will be seen as a valuable resource to your human visitors as well as the search engines.
You will actually be building you own directory to act as a home to all of your reciprocal link exchanges. See the previous article on link building for more details about setting up your link directory.
Add your potential link partners link under the appropriate category in your directory and then send them an email stating:
- That you have linked to them along with a sample of what their link and description looks like.
- A direct link to the page where their listing can be found.
- List exactly how you would like them to link back to you.
Make a point of sending an email like this to about 30 new potential link partners every day. All 30 will not link back to you, but the hope is that 5 – 10 will. You may have to adjust the number of reciprocal link request emails you send to hit your magic number of 5 – 10 new links a day.
Keep Track of Your Link Partners
You will want to create a spreadsheet for your website. You will want to track the following:
- The contact’s email address
- The contact’s name (when you get it)
- The URL of their site
- The URL of where their link is on your site
- The date you added their link
- The date they responded and linked back to you
- The Keyword anchor text of their link back to you
- The URL that your keyword anchor text points to on your site
- The URL of the page where your link appears on their site
After about 30 days if your potential link partner has not linked back to you then go ahead and remove their link from your directory.
You will also want to periodically check to ensure that your current link partners are still linking back to you.
You will need to keep a spreadsheet like this for each website you build.
Vary Your URLs and Anchor Text
When building link partners you do not want all of them linking to you with the same keyword anchor text. You also do not want all of them linking to your home page. You need to mix it up…
Let’s use dogs as an example:
I have a site all about different breeds of dogs. My home page deals with dogs in general but my sub-pages deal with dogs by breed.
- DOGS (home page)
- Akita Training (sub-page)
- American Bulldog Training (sub-page)
- Australian Shepherd Training (sub-page)
On day 1 I will seek out link partners for my home page for the keyword anchor text “Dog Training” which will point to my home page URL.
On day 2 I will seek out link partners for my sub page “Akita Training” using the keyword anchor text “Akita Training” which will point to my Akita Training sub-page.
On Day 3 I repeat the process for American Bulldog, etc, etc…
Don’t get stuck on getting links to your home page only. This is a big mistake that many webmasters make. Change up your anchor text and URLs to enjoy much higher rankings.
How to Speed Up The Link Building Process
Doing all of the tasks related to building link partners manually is fine at first. As soon as you are able to afford it I would highly recommend automating the following functions:
- Finding potential link partners
- Contacting potential link partners
- Adding your potential link partner’s site to your directory
- Keeping track of who is and isn’t linking back
- Removing sites that aren’t linking back
- Keeping a database or spreadsheet of you link partners for each of your sites.
- Automatically verify that all of your link partners are still linking back to you.
All of this can be done much faster using automated software. SEO Elite will do all of the things described above and much more. It will Also:
- Show you where you are indexed for certain keywords in the major search engines. This will save you from manually doing it.
- Find out how many of your website’s pages are indexed as well as where and how high in the SERPs.
- Automatically see who is linking to your competitors and then replicate their strategy by requesting links from them too.
- There are many, many more functions that will allow automation of these mundane tasks.